Ceviche is a seafood dish traditional throughout Latin and South America — where seafood is abundant and the weather is hot. The fish is cured by the addition of citrus. Use only the freshest seafood available. If scallops aren't at the market, halibut or any other firm white-fleshed fish will do. Spanish Pimenton, a pantry staple in our house, gives the ceviche a hint of smoke and dash of color.
Take extra care when working with spicy peppers.... do not touch your eyes!
- 12 Sea scallops, large
- 2 Fresh Jalapeno Peppers
- 1 Fresh Habenerro Pepers
- 5 Fresh limes, 4 juiced, 1 whole for garnish
- 1 Orange, juiced
- 1-2 tablespoons Raw Orange Blossom Honey
- 24 Fresh mint leaves
- 24 Fresh cilantro leaves
- Smoked Spanish Pimenton
- Slice peppers in very thin rounds and remove most of the seeds.
- Mix juices, peppers and honey in a small bowl.
- Squeeze the herb leaves tightly in your hand; add the crushed leaves to the honey juice mixture.
- Let the scallps & uice marinate for 15 minutes in refridgerator.
- Slice each scallop on the bias into three equal rounds.
- Place 9 scallop rounds, slightly overlapping, on each of 4 chilled plates,
- Spoon juices, peppers and herbs over scallops garnish with remaining herbs and sliced lime wedge.
- Dust lightly with Pimenton